Thursday 3 May 2012

REVIEW: Black Dawn by Rachel Caine


Pub. Date: May 1st 2012
Publisher: New American Library
Pages: 367
Readership: Young adult
Genres: paranormal, vampires
Rating: ★★★★ 
In Last Breath, the rain brought a new and dire threat to Morganville and its vampires... their ancient enemies, the draug. Now, the vampires are fighting a losing war, and it will fall to the residents of the Glass House: Michael, Eve, Shane and Claire, to take the fight to an enemy who threatens to destroy the town, forever.



Let me start off by saying sorry for taking so long to get a review up. But I'm apparently back in my reading stride so things should be good from now on. Now, onto the actual review.

I have been with this series from nearly the beginning. I got into it around book 4 and was hooked ever since. I love all of these characters so much that I can't bare to see it end. Ever. Even if it jumps the shark (some say it has but I don't think so) I want it to continue on. I've read it for so long these characters have become a part of me. That said, I'm going to try really hard not to give away any spoilers so forgive me if this is a little vague in parts.

Caine continues to spin an original tale of vampires when, let's face it, with all the vampire books around is a hard thing to accomplish but she manages to do that even twelve books in. Black Dawn is as nail biting as the last. You're taken on an emotional roller coaster that at times makes you close the book, put it down and whisper "No, nope, nu-uh..." over and over again until you reluctantly pick it up again and put your emotions through the ringer. Black Dawn has a lot of those moments.

Caine also keeps the readers on their toes because she changes up points of view in certain chapters. Like in Last Breath and Bite Club, we see the world of Morganville from the eyes of Shane, Eve, Oliver, Michael and even more, maybe unlikely characters. It's interesting to see how certain characters are without Claire's perspective clouding judgement. Some are better than perceived and some... much worse. I was especially dropping my jaw at Naomi's POV chapter in particular. Wow is all I will say. I hope we get a Myrnin chapter in a future book because I'd love to see how his mind really works and how he feels about Claire.

Black Dawn will keep your on your feet until the very last page. Heck, the last sentence, and it's going to leave you marking X's on calendars and counting down the days until Bitter Blood comes out.

1 comment:

  1. one of my fsv. series, i can't wait to read it.
    :D this review is awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete