Saturday 23 February 2013

REVIEW: Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

Pub. Date: February 5th 2013
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Pages: 452
Readership: Young adult
Genres: fantasy, dystopia, fairytale retelling

Cinder returns in the second thrilling installment of the New York Times-bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She’s trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she’ll be the Commonwealth’s most wanted fugitive.  
Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit’s grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn’t know about her grandmother and the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother’s whereabouts, she has no choice but to trust him, though he clearly has a few dark secrets of his own.  
As Scarlet and Wolf work to unravel one mystery, they find another when they cross paths with Cinder. Together, they must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen who will do anything to make Prince Kai her husband, her king, her prisoner.

Scarlet was definitely one of my most anticipated reads this year. I absolutely loved Cinder so I was a little worried that I wouldn't love Scarlet as much - even though this time around it's Red Riding Hood's story we're reading and it's my favorite fairytale. But I loved it. I loved Scarlet even more than I loved the first book.

In Scarlet, we meet Scarlet Benoit. She's a farmer's granddaughter but her grandmother is missing. She is determined to find her. She will do anything to find her, no matter what it takes. That was one of the reasons I loved Scarlet so much. She's brave, selfless, self-sacrificing, headstrong, but she's sweet and she's smart and she's everything I want in a heroine. She even carries a gun.

There are also a lot more POVs in Scarlet. There are chapters from Cinder's POV, Kai's, Scarlet's, and even crazy Queen Levana's POV. That was an unnerving read, that's for sure. I loved that we got to see the story from different people's perspectives. It was interesting to see Scarlet's journey to find her grandmother and her relationship building with Wolf, another new - and AWESOME - character. She went through quite a lot in the few days that this novel took place in. It was great to see how much she grew and all that she went through. Then there was going with Cinder on her journey to escape and to find out more about herself. I immediately fell in love with Thorne. He was my absolute favorite addition to the characters. He's sassy, funny, attractive but for all his bravado he's also very loyal and kind. I hope he sticks around throughout the series.

There was no shortage on action in Scarlet. From Cinder's narrow escape from jail, to the fights in Scarlet's home town and Scarlet's search for her grandmother, the book kept me on my toes. It kept me turning the pages even when I should probably be sleeping since it was 4 in the morning.

Scarlet left on a great note but I'm already foaming at the mouth for the sequel - Cress - coming out next year. It's about Rapunzel! I think what I love most about Marissa's series is that she's retelling all of my favorite fairytales: Cinderalla, Little Red Riding Hood, Rapunzel and then Snow White. I'm so excited! The series can only get better and better.


★★★★★
I LOVED IT

PURCHASE

1 comment:

  1. It sounds really good! Plus, it has many fairytales in it. *swoons* So glad you love it. I'm going to grab a copy!

    ReplyDelete