Wednesday 20 March 2013

REVIEW: Requiem by Lauren Oliver

Pub. Date: March 5th 2013
Publisher: Harper
Pages: 391
Readership: Young adult
Genres: dystopia

They have tried to squeeze us out, to stamp us into the past.  
But we are still here.  
And there are more of us every day.  
Now an active member of the resistance, Lena has been transformed. 
The nascent rebellion that was under way in Pandemonium has ignited into an all-out revolution in Requiem, and Lena is at the center of the fight.  
After rescuing Julian from a death sentence, Lena and her friends fled to the Wilds. But the Wilds are no longer a safe haven—pockets of rebellion have opened throughout the country, and the government cannot deny the existence of Invalids. Regulators now infiltrate the borderlands to stamp out the rebels, and as Lena navigates the increasingly dangerous terrain, her best friend, Hana, lives a safe, loveless life in Portland as the fiancĂ©e of the young mayor.
Maybe we are driven crazy by our feelings. 
 
Maybe love is a disease, and we would be better off without it.  
But we have chosen a different road.  
And in the end, that is the point of escaping the cure: We are free to choose.  
We are even free to choose the wrong thing.

It's always difficult reading the end of a series. It's even more difficult when you're at the end of a favorite series. The Delirium trilogy is by far one of my favorite reads ever. It is just amazing and it was hard to say goodbye to it. That's why, though I finished the book over a week ago, I'm only writing the review now. The review is the final nail in the coffin, so to speak. Yes, I can always re-read them - which I will do - but I can never read the books for the first time again. Never meet these characters for the first time and feel all the wonderment, joy, sadness and anger at reading the words for the first time. It's a really sad thing to do. Reading the final page of the final book in a series and closing it is a grieving process.

I'm going to try to make this as spoiler-free as possible but if you haven't read Delirium or Pandemonium then you should not read this review.

I was really excited to get to see things from Hana's POV. At times, her chapters intrigued me more than Lena's. She's cured. She's on the cusp of marrying the new mayor. And since she's cured, she should probably be clouded, not caring and looking forward to her shiny new life. But she isn't. She's questioning things and the old Hana is poking through the cure. She's scared. There were times when I read Lena's chapters super fast just because I wanted to see more of Hana.

Requiem is a definite page turner. There was no lack of action, of movement, between Hana's struggles and realizations to Lena and her group trying to find shelter and then the resistance. There was never a lull and I am glad for that. And the deaths. The series and the events in the book definitely call for them but that didn't make the deaths any less shocking and sad.

Then there was the ending. Personally, I loved it. I've seen a lot of reviews and heard a lot of people smacking it, hating it, and downright being nasty about it. But I thought it was perfect. If there was a clean cut ending, all tied up with a bow, I don't think I would have been happy. If Lena had made a choice between Alex and Julian, I wouldn't have been happy. It's much more complicated than that. There is no clean-cut, happy ending for the world that the Delirium took place, at least not yet. Change is going to take a lot of work. A lot more blood, sweat and tears. The ending should reflect that, and it did. The ending is a new beginning and I absolutely adored it.

So as sad as I am to say goodbye to the series, I'd like to think that the characters I fell in love with are okay somewhere and happy. Who knows, maybe one day Lauren will revisit them and we'll get to see how they're holding up. But for now, there's only a bright new horizon for the characters in the triolgy.

★★★★★ 
I LOVED IT

PURCHASE

No comments:

Post a Comment