Sunday 11 August 2013

REVIEW: Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

Pub. Date: December 2nd 2010
Publisher: Dutton
Pages: 372
Readership: Young adult
Genres: romance

Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris--until she meets Étienne St. Clair. Smart, charming, beautiful, Étienne has it all...including a serious girlfriend.  
But in the City of Light, wishes have a way of coming true. Will a year of romantic near-misses end with their long-awaited French kiss?

As you can probably tell by the state of my blog and read list on Goodreads, I'm not one for much contemporary books. I like a little something extra whether it's an apocalypse, something supernatural or some other weird thing going on. I always need a little more. But I have heard so many wonderful things about Anna and the French Kiss that I finally had to pick it up and see what all the fuss was about. Wow, I'm glad I did!

It was so cute! I immediately took a liking to Anna. She had an amazing voice and was easily relatable. Maybe not on the surface (I know I wasn't shipped off to a boarding school in Paris) but it was easy to understand her thoughts, feelings and the things she did. For once I didn't find myself going really? you're going to do that? come on. I suffered absolutely no secondhand embarrassment when it came to Anna.

And then there's St. Clair. Can I have one? Please? The pair of them were a couple you could really root for, even when they weren't together. I also really loved the other characters like Josh, Mer, Toph and Rashmi. They were a group of characters that were so realistic, you could probably walk into any boarding school, or school for that matter, and find people exactly like them.

I loved Anna and the French Kiss so much I know that it's going to be a book I'll go back to and re-read a lot. It was just so enjoyable. I haven't liked a contemporary read this much in a long time.

★★★★★ 
I LOVED IT

PURCHASE 

No comments:

Post a Comment