Saturday 22 June 2013

RECAP: HCCFrenzy Presents: Fall Preview - The Future of YA

This past Thursday, a group of Toronto Area bloggers were invited to a preview of Harper Collins Canada fall YA titles at a boutique called Vocado in Liberty Village in downtown Toronto. I had never been to Liberty Village and I was a little worried about getting lost on the TTC trying to get down there but I managed not to! Which is surprising since I have a terrible habit of getting lost on the TTC.

This was my first book event EVER (and a massive, massive thanks to Vikki for inviting me) so I had absolutely no idea what to expect. It was a cozy, intimate setting with five different stations set up throughout the shop with different books for each of the ladies running them to talk about. We went around in groups.


THE NEW MYTHOLOGY - Shannon

The Chaos of Stars by Kiersten White → This has been on my to-read list for soooo long! I was excited to hear more about it and see a copy in person. It's about Egyptian mythology which is fresh and exciting! I can't think of one other book that has Egyptian mythology so I'm very excited to read it and see how it works.

Descendant (Starling #2) by Lesley Livingston → This is the sequel to Lesley's Starling which was about Norse mythology!

CREEPTASTIC - Jessica

3:59 by Gretchen McNeil → I am so excited for this one! It's about a girl who stumbles upon a parallell world when she sees someone who looks exactly like her in a room exactly like her's in an old mirror. They can only interact for exactly one minute at 3:59 every day. Creepiness ensues!

Asylum by Madeleine Roux → Wow. Wow. WOW! I think out of all the books featured at the event, this is the one I am most excited about. I have such a thing for old abandoned buildings, or buildings that were once asylums and turned into something else. And now it's basically in novel form! I wasn't the only one infatuated with this book! Michele over at Just A Lil Lost was too. 

The Brokenhearted by Amelia Kahaney → Jessica described this one as "The Dark Knight" with a female protagonist. She falls in with a bad group and because of it, she dies. But she soon wakes up with a mechanical heart and goes to seek revenge. I also won a signed copy of The Madman's Daughter by Megan Sherpherd at this station!

CORA CARMACK 

Cora is an up and coming New Adult author and she was the featured guest for the event! She talked about her time in theatre school and answered some questions from us. She also talked about how she wanted to write a light novel in the New Adult category because, while she liked NA books like Beautiful Disaster and Easy, she had a very different college experience from those dark and gloomy times written about in those books. 

Losing It is about a girl who is about to graduate from college. Before she graduates, she wants to lose her virginity. She's the only one among her group of friends that still has it and she thinks the best way to rectify this is to have a one night stand. Well, she freaks out and leaves but the next day when she arrives to class, she finds that her theatre prof is none other than the man she left naked in her bed. Eek!

CONTEMPORARY - Kaiti
How to Love by Katie Cotugno → How to Love is about a girl who loved a boy  who disappeared from town. She was left sad and pregnant. Three years later, he resurfaces. What's a girl to do? Fall in love is what!

The Beginning of Everything by Robyn Schneider → Golden boy Ezra Faulkner believes everyone has a tragedy waiting for them—a single encounter after which everything that really matters will happen. His particular tragedy waited until he was primed to lose it all: in one spectacular night, a reckless driver shatters Ezra’s knee, his athletic career, and his social life. I really loved both of these covers! Kaiti talked about how the covers marketed to both male and female readers, which is thanks to The Fault in Our Stars

NEW VOICES - Suman
Gloss by Marilyn Kaye → Described as Gossip Girl meets Mad Men, Gloss is set in NYC in the 60s when a group of girls begin working at a fashion magazine. 

If You Could Be Mine by Sara Farizan → I have never heard of this book before but from the way Suman was talking about it, I'm really very excited to find a copy and read it. It's set in Iran and is about two girls who fall in love. One of them is arranged to be married. The other girl, so broken hearted and sad, vos to the other to get a sex change so that they can be together. I know I'm going to be crying my eyes out when I read this book. 

Not a Drop to Drink by Mindy McGinnis → This is another book featured at the event that I'm super excited to read. This is a story about survival set in a post-apocalyptic world ravaged by drought. It's survival of the fittest. 



We were all invited to shop around and mingle after all the groups talked to all of the stations. It was really great meeting and talking to other bloggers! Before heading out, Vikki gave us gift bags that had two books talked about at the event, a Gloss lipgloss and a fortune cookie. My bag had Not a Drop to Drink and 3:59! I'm already reading 3:59 and I am infatuated. 

A BIG, HUGE, GIGANTIC THANKS to Harper Collins/HCCFrenzy/Savvy Reader for holding the event. I had such a fantastic time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment